-
TL;DR: Ukraine launched a large-scale long-range strike targeting Moscow-region energy infrastructure and a Crimean airbase, signaling growing ability to penetrate heavily defended Russian territory and intensify pressure on its military-industrial system. Kyiv frames the attacks as evidence of shifting momentum and expanding deep-strike capacity, while Moscow claims most threats were intercepted and reports civilian casualties. Drone warfare is escalating in scale, with repeated strikes on fuel and production sites far from the front lines. Battlefield gains remain disputed amid limited verification, even as Ukraine asserts increased operational activity. Meanwhile, the Kremlin hints at possible renewed dialogue with Europe, reflecting parallel military escalation and tentative diplomatic signaling.
Ukrainian strikes hit Moscow region and occupied Crimea
Ukraine said it carried out a coordinated long-range attack overnight on May 16–17 targeting military-industrial and fuel infrastructure in Moscow Oblast and Russian-occupied Crimea. The Security Service of Ukraine, or SBU, said the operation was conducted jointly with the Armed Forces and included strikes on the Moscow Oil Refinery, air defense systems, and infrastructure at the Belbek military airfield in Crimea.
Russian authorities and local reports said residential buildings were also damaged and that at least three people were killed. Moscow said its air defenses intercepted 1,054 Ukrainian drones, eight guided aerial bombs, and two newly developed Ukrainian missiles during the attack. Those figures, like many battlefield claims from both sides, could not be independently verified.
Zelensky frames attacks as evidence of shifting momentum
President Volodymyr Zelensky described the operation as a “significant” demonstration of Ukraine’s long-range strike capability and linked it to what he called a broader shift in momentum on the battlefield. In his May 17 evening address, he said Western partners were increasingly recognizing changes both in attitudes toward the war and in the vulnerability of targets on Russian territory.
Zelensky said Moscow’s extensive defensive measures around the capital were no longer preventing Ukrainian strikes from reaching strategic sites. He also suggested that Russian oil infrastructure should expect continued pressure, referring specifically to refineries, oil facilities, and industrial enterprises. He characterized the attack as a response to Russia’s continued strikes on Ukrainian cities.
Growing scale of deep-strike campaign
Ukraine has repeatedly targeted facilities tied to Russia’s war effort, including oil refineries, fuel depots, and weapons-related production sites. Recent attacks, however, indicate a higher tempo and an apparent ability to penetrate heavily defended areas around Moscow.
Russian state media outlet RIA Novosti, citing the Defense Ministry, reported that 3,124 Ukrainian drones were downed over Russia and Russian-occupied territory during the previous week. It also said 572 drones were intercepted in a May 13 attack that primarily targeted oil and gas infrastructure. The reported increase in Ukrainian drone activity reflects Kyiv’s effort to place additional strain on Russia’s military-industrial base and logistics network far from the front line.
Front-line claims remain contested
Zelensky also used his address to argue that battlefield dynamics have shifted in Ukraine’s favor. He said Ukrainian monitoring showed more Ukrainian “active operations” than Russian ones over the 24-hour period spanning May 16–17 and pledged to increase supplies needed to sustain those efforts.
Commander-in-Chief Oleksandr Syrskyi has previously said Ukrainian forces captured more territory in February than Russian troops. Zelensky separately said in March that Ukraine had liberated more than 400 square kilometers of Russian-occupied territory in the eastern parts of the Zaporizhzhia and Dnipropetrovsk regions. Independent verification of such claims remains difficult because of fluid front lines and contested “gray zone” areas where control is unclear.
Kremlin signals openness to renewed talks with Europe
After the Moscow attack, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said Russia could resume dialogue with European states. Speaking on May 17, he said growing discussion in Europe about eventually speaking with Moscow was a positive sign and that the Russian side would be ready for renewed communication.
The remarks came amid debate in Europe over future diplomacy with Russia as uncertainty continues around U.S. efforts to end the war. Peskov criticized EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas as an unsuitable potential negotiator, while Estonian Foreign Minister Margus Tsahkna warned against talks that could allow Moscow to buy time. Finnish President Alexander Stubb had earlier argued that European leaders should move toward direct dialogue with Russia, saying U.S. policy no longer fully aligns with European goals.
Recommended Comments